Labor Day is held on the first Monday in September each year.
Unofficially the last day of summer, the holiday, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, "constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."
Here's a list of what's closed on Monday. If you know of other local businesses that are closing or altering their hours Monday, post them in the comments below!
What's Closed on Monday
- All federal and state offices
- All municipal offices
- All public schools
- Public libraries
- U.S. financial markets
- Banks and credit unions
- All postal offices
- Commuter trains such as Shore Line East and Metro North will run on a holiday/weekend schedule Monday
- The DMV closes at 12:30 p.m. Friday and doesn't reopen until Tuesday
- Connecticut Lottery Headquarters in Rocky Hill
- Some businesses (call first to see if your destination is open)
What's Open on Monday
- Retail Stores
- Convenience stores
NOTE: Call ahead before heading to any of the above establishments to confirm they are open. Many retail stores may be operating on a Sunday schedule or with limited hours.
These local businesses are OPEN!
- Flutterby is open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- KCs will be open at 3:30 labor day for the evening.
- Pix Photography is open 9 a.m. -7 p.m. - Advanced appointments are required.