We're a few weeks into January and it's gut check time on your New Year's Resolution. If your resolution this 2013 year was to get in shape, then no doubt you've been exercising, trying new workouts, heading to the nearest gym or health club, and trying to eat healthy foods. But, if you're finding yourself in a slump, maybe getting off course on your diet, and breaking into those late night potato chips, keep reading for some tips from some local Guilford experts on how to keep that new year's resolution.
To get some expert advice, I spoke to Christina Kostek, Manager at Planet Fitness in Guilford, and Eric Rapuario, a Premier Certified Trainer at Premier Personal Training in Guilford. When I asked these experts about their best tips for folks trying to keep their New Year's 'Get Fit' Resolutions, this is what they had to say:
- Your workout has to be integrated into your routine: make it part of your day. Plan for it.
- Don't overwhelm yourself with setting unrealistic goals, like going from no workouts a week to two hours everyday. Set reasonable, achievable goals.
- Give yourself permission to miss a day, workout for a shorter time. Life gets in the way sometimes of our plans, don't let a missed workout derail your fitness plans.
- Do a mix of cardio and weights- both are important. Weight bearing exercises increase your bone density, giving you stronger bones.
- The standby, drink water and stay hydrated.
- Pace yourself
- It is a process to get out of shape and it is a process to get back in shape- don't expect magic results overnight.
- Just getting to the gym and putting in a 20 minute workout is going to make you feel better. Even if you don't burn as many calories as you may want, that mood boost will still be there; don't underestimate it's benefits.
- Make sure, if you do have a gym membership, that the location is convenient to get to either from work or home. A long commute to your workout spot can become an easy excuse.
- Motivation is 90% of the battle. If you can motivate yourself to commit and put in the effort, the result will come.
- Don't do anything extreme diet or exercise wise. Getting in shape should be done in a very natural, healthy way.
- Get out of your comfort zone- try a new class, use a different machine at the gym, push yourself. Just take that extra step.
If these experts' words have inspired you, check out some of the many gyms, studios, fitness centers, etc. that Guilford has to offer, and keep going on that New Year's Resolution:
- E-Fitness Personal Training Studio
- Bodi N Motion
- Total Health Center
- Whipit CrossFit
- Guilford Racquet and Swim Club
- Xtreme Martial Arts Training Center
- Planet Fitness
- Premier Personal Training
Where do you workout in Guilford? Tell us in the comments.